Christchurch Hospital
Christchurch Hospital is the largest tertiary hospital in the South Island of New Zealand. The public hospital is in the centre of Christchurch city, on the edge of Hagley Park, and serves the wider Canterbury Region. It has the busiest emergency department in Australasia, and is one of four main teaching hospitals in New Zealand. The Canterbury District Health Board (CDHB) operates the hospital with funding from the government. The Christchurch School of Medicine is on the hospital campus, the school provides teaching for fourth and fifth year medical students, and is part of the University of Otago. The hospital has a helipad ( ICAO: NZJC) in Hagley Park, 500 m (1,600 ft) to the southwest along Hagley Avenue.

History
The Provincial Government voted £1,500 to building the hospital in Christchurch in 1861. The initial building was a two-storied "barn-like structure" on Hagley Park at Riccarton Avenue. It opened on 1 June 1862, after "Hands off Hagley" protests by citizens. The last of the original buildings were demolished in 1917. In 2009, the CDHB announced a NZ$400 million proposal to replace some of the hospital buildings, including a new 450-bed hospital, a rooftop helipad and additional operating theatres. The construction may start in 2011, and be expected to take three years. The hospital played a key role in treating casualties of the 2011 Christchurch earthquake, admitting 164 people with serious injuries. The quake also caused the evacuation of one ward.