Christ Church Cathedral, Nelson

Edit profile
Christ Church Cathedral, Nelson
Christ Church Cathedral is an Anglican cathedral in Nelson, New Zealand. The cathedral is located at upper Trafalgar Street.

In 1851 the first church was erected at a different site. In 1866 the church was named as Christ Church Cathedral. In 1887 a second church was constructed at the current site using much of the same materials of the previous cathedral. In 1925 the current church construction began. Construction was finished in 1965. The majority of marble was sourced from the Pakikiruna Range, near Takaka. When construction started the marble was to be used in blocks. However after the Murchison earthquake this was deemed too risky and far too expensive. The marble was then ground down and mixed with plaster to give the unusual appearance and colour.

The steps are constructed from granite. This granite was sourced from Tonga Beach, which is now part of Abel Tasman National Park. There is now a monument that overlooks Trafalgar Street and celebrates 100 years of settlement in Nelson.

The first pipe organ was constructed by T.C. Lewis in London and shipped to Nelson in 1871 . The organ was then rebuilt in 1932. After 30 years of use the organ was overhauled and now consists of over 2000 pipes. The organ is spread over 3 manuals and pedals, and has a detached electric-action console situated on a gallery opposite the pipes in the Chancel. .

The cathedral has seating for 1,200 people. It is 58 meters in length and 27 meters wide. The tower is 35 meters high.