Christ Church, Alsager
Christ Church, Alsager is in the town of Alsager, Cheshire, England ( grid reference SJ 789 556 ). The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield and the deanery of Congleton.

The church was built in 1789”“90 at the expense of three "Ladies of the Manor of Alsager", Mary, Margaret and Judith Alsager to a design by Thomas Stringer. It was a chapel of ease to St Bertoline's Church, Barthomley and became a parish church in 1946. To celebrate the centenary of the church a new organ was acquired and dedicated in 1889.


The church is built in ashlar yellow Keuper sandstone in Georgian style. Its plan consists of a west tower, a six- bay nave and a three-bay chancel with an apse. At the sides of the west door are Tuscan demi-columns supporting a frieze and a pediment which has an acroterion block at its top. Above this the tower has a clock stage with a clock face on each side, and a belfry stage with louvred bell-openings on each side. At the top of the tower is a dentilled cornice and a balustrade. The windows at the sides of the church are round-headed. The bays are separated by giant pilasters.

Inside the church is a west gallery. The gallery is panelled, as are the nave and chancel to dado height. In the chancel the panelling is divided by fluted pilasters. The font is an 18th-century baluster with an octagonal bowl. The church plate includes a communion set dated 1789. In the church are three plaques to the memory of the five "Ladies of the Manor of Alsager". The parish registers begin in 1789 for baptisms and burials and in 1852 for marriages. The organ was built by Stringer and Company, and rebuilt in 1990 by Ward and Smith. The tower contains a ring of eight bells, hung for change ringing, six of which date to 1893, and the others to 1902, all cast by John Taylor & Co of Loughborough.

External features
Outside the church is a pair of gate piers in yellow sandstone by Thomas Stringer dating from around 1790. On top of the piers are vase finials standing on a stepped base.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via