Chinese Pavilion at DrottningholmEdit profile
The Chinese Pavilion (Swedish: Kina slott), located on the grounds of the Drottningholm Palace park, is a Chinese-inspired royal pavilion built in 1753. The pavilion is currently one of Sweden's Royal Palaces.
The first castle building was built as a prefab house in 1753 and was a birthday gift to Queen Lovisa Ulrika from King Adolf Fredrik on 24 July.
The current China Castle, which has replaced the old wooden pavilion from 1753, is designed by Carl Fredrik Adelcrantz. The royal court’s chief supervisor Jean Eric Rehn was the man who led the work with the interior design. The construction of the pavilion began in 1763 and was completed in 1769.
The architecture is essentially rococo. It was intended to have an exotic character, containing Chinese elements which were then the highest fashion.
The red lacquer walls and sculptural decoration shows a good knowledge of Chinese architecture, but the main body of the castle can be characterized as typical European.