Chelmsford Cathedral
Chelmsford Cathedral in the county town of Chelmsford, Essex, England is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, St Peter and St Cedd. It became a cathedral when the anglican Diocese of Chelmsford was created in 1914 and is the seat of the Bishop of Chelmsford.

History
The church of St Mary the Virgin in Chelmsford was probably first built along with the town eight hundred years ago. It was rebuilt in the 15th and early 16th centuries, with walls of flint rubble, stone and brick. There is also a tower and spire with a ring of thirteen bells, 12 of which were cast by John Warner and Sons at Cripplegate. The nave was again rebuilt in the early 19th century, after it had partially collapsed. The stained-glass windows were all installed in the 19th and 20th centuries. The south porch was extended in 1953 to mark Anglo-American friendship after the World War II and the many US airmen stationed in Essex. In 1954, the cathedral was additionally dedicated to Saints Peter and Cedd. In 1983, the interior of the cathedral was extensively refurbished, with a new floor, seating, altar, Bishop's throne, font and artwork. In 1994 and 1995 two pipe organs were installed, the first in the nave and the second in the chancel. In 2000 a sculpture of "Christ in Glory", by Peter Eugene Ball, was placed above the chancel arch. In 2004 two further major works of art were commissioned, and are now in place: Mark Cazelet's "Tree of Life" painting in the North Transept, and Philip Sanderson's altar frontal in the Mildmay Chapel. The cathedral celebrates its links with Thomas Hooker, who was Chelmsford Town Lecturer between 1626 and 1629. He fled to the New World because of his Puritan views and founded the town of Hartford, Connecticut and was one of the founders of American democracy. The cathedral enjoys close links with The Cathedral School, St Cedd's School, King Edward VI Grammar School and Chelmsford County High School for Girls. Many of the cathedral's boy and girl choristers attend these schools.

Music
  • The Cathedral Music Department led by the Director of Music includes the Assistant Director of Music, Organ Scholar, Music Secretary and Choir Matron.
  • The Cathedral Choir consists of twenty boys (aged 7-13) and twelve men. The choir sings the daily choral services and Choral Eucharist, Matins (monthly) and Choral Evensong on Sundays. The adult singers in the choir are made up of Lay Clerks, Choral Scholars and volunteer 'Singing Men'.
  • The Cathedral Consort consists of twelve girls (aged 11-18). They sing Choral Evensong every Tuesday and frequently join the men of the Cathedral Choir for other choral services and concerts.
  • The Voluntary Choir was formed in 2001 and frequently sings at cathedral services often during choir holiday periods.
Cathedral Organs
  • The Nave Organ is situated at the west end of the cathedral under the Tower. It is a four-manual instrument with mechanical action built by Mander Organs in 1994.
  • The Chancel Organ is a two manual mechanical instrument built by Mander Organs in 1995 and is widely admired for the quality of its voicing. It incorporates 19th century pipework by Hill and Holdich. The Nave Organ's Great, Swell, Solo and Pedal divisions can be played via an electric link from the Chancel Organ console.
A specification of the organs can be found at the National Pipe Organ Register. Directors of Music
  • 182? Charles Ambrose
  • 1876 Frederick Frye
  • 1945 Roland Middleton (later Organist of Chester cathedral)
  • 1949 W Stanley Vann (later Master of the Music at Peterborough Cathedral)
  • 1953 Derrick Edward Cantrell (later Organist of Manchester Cathedral)
  • 1962 Philip Stevens Ledger (later Director of Music at King's College, Cambridge)
  • 1965 John Willam Jordan
  • 1981 Graham Elliott
  • 1999 Peter Nardone
Assistant Organists
  • Geoffrey Becket
  • 1963 John Jordan
  • 1966 Peter Cross
  • 1968 David Sparrow
  • 1986 Timothy Allen
  • 1996 Neil Weston
Assistant Directors of Music
  • 1999 Edward Wellman
  • 2003 Robert Poyser (later Director of Music at Beverley Minster)
  • 2008 Tom Wilkinson (later Organist to the University of St Andrews, Scotland)
  • 2009 Oliver Waterer
See also the List of Organ Scholars at Chelmsford Cathedral.

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com