Charlottenborg PalaceEdit profile
Charlottenborg Palace (Danish: Charlottenborg Slot) is a large town mansion located on the corner of Kongens Nytorv and Nyhavn in Copenhagen, Denmark. Originally built as a residence for Ulrik Frederik Gyldenløve, it has served as the base of the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts since its foundation in 1754. Several other institutions of the Danish art world are also based at Charlottenborg, which today also serves as an exhibition space for art exhibitions.History
King Christian IV of Denmark donated a part of the plot to his mistress Vibeke Kruse, to house a pleasure and kitchen garden. It was in turn inherited by Ulrik Christian Gyldenløve. The construction of Gyldenløves Palace, began on April 3, 1672 when King Frederick III laid the first stone for his illegitimate son Ulrik Frederik Gyldenløve. The material was taken from the remains of Kalø slot, where the later Swedish King Gustav Vasa was held captive.
After the King Christian V´s death in 1699 the Queen Mother, Charlotte Amalie, purchased the Palace for 50.000 Danish crowns. Hereafter namned Charlottenborg Palace.
The Queen Mother's death in 1714 lead to the Palace being handed over to King Christian VI. Renovations began in 1736-1737, and its use and users shifted for a period of time. A small theater was constructed and used for various concerts, operas and theatrical performances. The Palace Garden contained the Botanical Garden between 1778 - 1872.The Royal Danish Academy of Arts
In 1701, the old Academy of Arts began its activities in the Palace. The small school slowly grew and was finally formally inaugurated in the Charlottenborg Palace on March 31, 1754. In 1787, the ownership of the Palace was transferred to The Royal Danish Academy of Art. The Academy still occupies the Palace.Contemporary activities
- Royal Danish Academy of Art
- Kunsthal Charlottenborg, Exhibition Hall
- Danmarks Kunstbibliotek, The Art Library of Denmark