Charlotte Forten Grimké HouseEdit profile
The Charlotte Forten Grimké House is a historic home in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Northwest Washington, D.C., United States. From 1881 to 1886, the house was owned by Charlotte Forten Grimké (1837–1914), one of the first Northern educators who entered Union-controlled areas of the South during the American Civil War.
Grimké was the first African American to teach former slaves in the South and co-founder of the Colored Women's League in 1894. She was known as an abolitionist, supporter of women's rights, writer, and teacher. The house, located at 1608 R Street NW, was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976.