Chapel of Nossa Senhora de Baluarte

Edit profile
Chapel of Nossa Senhora de Baluarte

The Chapel of Nossa Senhora de Baluarte is located on the most eastern tip of the Island of Mozambique which sits of the coast of Mozambique in Africa. The Chapel is situated outside the Fort São Sebastião from which it can be reached through a gate.

Built by the Portuguese in 1522, the chapel is considered to be the oldest European building in the southern hemisphere. It is also considered to be one of the finest examples of Manueline vaulted architecture in Mozambique.

  • Chapel - Seaview

  • Chapel - View from Fort

  • Chapel - Full View

  • Chapel - View from Fort

  • Chapel - Entrance

  • Chapel - Inside

Coordinates: 15°01′44″S 40°44′42″E / 15.0288°S 40.7449°E / -15.0288; 40.7449

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • Kiril Pavlov
    Kiril Pavlov updated
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • viragerdei
    viragerdei updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com