Chandragiri (Telugu: చంద్రగిరి), is a suburb of Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh, India. Recently it is included under Municipal Corporation limits of Tirupati. It is also the southern entrance to the Temple city for vehicles going from Bangalore, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.Chandragiri Fort
Chandragiri is famous for the historical fort, built in the 11th century, and the Raja Mahal (Palace) within it. Chandragiri was under the rule of Yadava rayas for about three centuries and came into control of Vijayanagar rulers in 1367. It came into prominence during Saluva Narasimha Rayalu,he got the title of Mahamandaleswara and his illustrious Prime minister Chitti Gangarayalu(Ganganamatyudu) was known for his vision, wisdom and rectitude and was revered as a Bhisma Pitamaha in his times, he was the person who identified intellectualism of Timmarasu and taken him into the service of Chandragiri and later promoted to the Prime minister of Vijayanagar Empire.Gangaraya discendents served the Vijayanagara empire as trusted Generals and Governors for several generations,Chandragiri was the 4th capital of Vijayanagar Empire, Rayas shifted their capital to here when Golconda sultans attacked Penukonda. In 1646 the fort was annexed to the Golkonda territory and subsequently came under Mysore rule. It went into oblivion from 1792 onward. The fort encircles eight ruined temples of saivite and vaishnavite pantheons, Raja Mahal, Rani Mahal and other ruined structures.
The Raja Mahal Palace (shown in picture) is now an archeological museum. The palace is three storeyed, is an example of Indo-Sarcen architecture of Vijayanagar period. The crowning towers represents the Hindu architectural elements. The palace was constructed using stone, brick, lime mortar and devoid of timber.
Koneti Naidu, who was made the king of Penukonda by the Vijayanagar Raya was the great-grandson of Vasarasi Kanaka Naidu of Chandragiri Royal Family they belonged to the Balija caste of Andhra Pradesh..