Jeszywas Chachmej Lublin, hebr. ישיבת חכמי לובלין (Lubelska Szkoła Mędrców)
Chachmei Lublin YeshivaEdit profile
Founded by Rabbi Meir Shapiro, the Chachmei Lublin Yeshiva, (Polish: Jesziwat Chachmei Lublin), was an important centre for Torah study in Poland.
On May 22–28, 1924, the cornerstone laying ceremony took place for the construction of the yeshiva building. Approximately 20,000 people participated in the event.
The opening ceremony took place on June 24-25, 1930. Apart from thousands of local Jews, around 10,000 people arrived from all over Poland and abroad.
When the Nazis took Lublin during World War II, they stripped the interior and burned the vast library in the town square. The cries of the Jews watching their yeshiva and holy books burn to the ground were so loud that the Germans called for the army band to come and stifle their cries of desperation. The building became the regional headquarters of the German Military Police. After the war, in the autumn of 1945, the property was taken over by the state as a so-called abandoned possession and assigned to the newly established Marie Curie-Skłodowska University. It was used by the Medical University of Lublin.
In 2003 the building was returned to the Jewish community. Its synagogue, the first to be entirely renovated by the Jewish community of Poland since World War II, was reopened on February 11, 2007. Also, under current plans, the first Museum of Hasidism in Europe will be located in the renovated building.
Re-establishment in Bnei Brak
The yeshiva was re-established in Bnei Brak by Rabbi Shmuel Wosner who was a student of the yeshiva in Lublin.
Chachmei Lublin Yeshiva