Château de PeyreladeEdit profile
The Château de Peyrelade is a ruined castle in the commune of Rivière-sur-Tarn in the Aveyron département of France.
The name is derived from the occitan "Pèira Lada", meaning wide rock; an accurate description of the site. Objects found on the site suggest it was inhabited in prehistoric times.
Thanks to its position controlling the entrance to the Gorges du Tarn, it was one of the most important castles in the Rouergue province. It existed at least as far back as the 12th century, and was the scene of incessant battles and sieges until 1633 when it was dismantled on the orders of Richelieu.
The ruins give a good idea of the layout of the castle. The outer wall was more than 250m (~800 ft) long, 10m (~33 ft) high and 2.1m (~7 ft) thick. The castle was dominated by a natural rock keep more than 50m (~163 ft) high, only accessible from a round tower attached to it.
The Château de Peyrelade is one of a group of 23 castles in Aveyron who have joined together to provide a tourist itinerary as La Route des Seigneurs du Rouergue. Château de Peyrelade is open to visitors from mid-June to mid-September.Sources
- www.culture.gouv.fr, accessed 30 Jan 2007
Coordinates: 44°11′43″N 3°8′52″E / 44.19528°N 3.14778°E / 44.19528; 3.14778