Château de MontbrunEdit profile
The Château de Montbrun is a castle in the commune of Dournazac in the Haute-Vienne département of France. The castle was built in the 12th and 15th centuries, and was restored in the late 19th.
Montbrun is a fine example of a 15th century castle. In plan rectangular, it is flanked in the corners with round towers and protected by water. Its narrow romanesque keep, 40m (~130 ft) square, close up against one of the towers, gives it a strange appearance.History
The castle (then called Trados) was built in 1179 by Aimery Bruni (also called Brun) on his return from the Second Crusade. The Brun family, (Montbrun after 1366), remained owners until 1516. At the start of the Hundred Years' War, the castle was occupied by the English. It was retaken by the French in 1353. At the end of the century it was taken again by the English and partially destroyed. Between 1433 and 1438, square towers were replaced with round towers and the castle took on its present form.
In 1562, Montbrun was attacked by Protestants during the Wars of Religion and although it was not captured a fire raged through the castle.
During the French Revolution, at the instigation of people's representatives Borie and Brival, the castle was pillaged and destroyed and the archives were burned. The property was divided up and sold as national property. Restored in 1871, it suffered a serious fire in 1917. A second restoration was carried out between 1964 and 1966.
The castle is privately owned and run as a hotel; it is currently for sale. It has been a protected monument historique listed by the French Ministry of Culture since 1946.Sources
- www.culture.gouv.fr, accessed 19 Feb 2007
Coordinates: 45°38′10″N 0°53′53″E / 45.63611°N 0.89806°E / 45.63611; 0.89806