Central Railroad of New Jersey Freight StationEdit profile
The Central Railroad of New Jersey Freight Station in Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States was the western terminus of the Central Railroad of New Jersey line, 192 miles (309 km) from the other end in Jersey City, New Jersey. It is located on West Lackawanna Avenue just over the Lackawanna River from downtown Scranton, near Steamtown National Historic Site.
Built in 1891 in a Romanesque style, it was at first an unusual instance of a freight terminal being more visually striking than its corresponding passenger terminal. When the railroad shut down its Pennsylvania operations in 1972 during bankruptcy proceedings, the terminal was closed by the Lehigh Valley Railroad, which took them over, and has remained unused ever since. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.