Central Park HospitalEdit profile
The Central Park Hospital (officially the U.S. General Hospital, Central Park) was a military hospital that operated in New York City during the American Civil War, from 1862 to 1865. It occupied the former grounds of Mount St. Vincent's Academy near 102nd St and East Drive in Central Park, just west of Fifth Avenue and atop the Revolutionary War site of McGowan's Pass. In medical and military records it is usually referred to as the United States General Hospital, Central Park; and sometimes elsewhere as St. Joseph's Military Hospital (as it was named by Sisters of Charity, who built the complex and provided nursing staff).
Following the Civil War the buildings and site became a sculpture museum and restaurant, called variously the Mount St. Vincent Hotel, Stetson's Hotel, and the McGown's Pass Tavern. Today the site is used by the Central Park Conservancy as a composting area.
It should not be confused with Park Hospital, which was the renamed Red Cross Hospital also located on Central Park in New York City from 1914–1922 and which the current New York University Hospital is partly descended from.