Central ArcadeEdit profile
Coordinates: 54°58′26″N 1°37′23″W / 54.974°N 1.623°W / 54.974; -1.623
The Central Arcade in Newcastle upon Tyne, England is an elegant Edwardian shopping arcade built in 1906 and designed by Oswald and Son, of Newcastle. It is contained within the Central Exchange building, which was built by Richard Grainger in 1836-38 to the designs of John Wardle and George Walker. The Central Exchange is a triangular building which was intended to be a corn exchange but became a subscription newsroom. The building was ravaged by fire in 1867 and again in 1901, and in 1906 the Central Arcade was created within the original building.
The building is bounded by Grainger Street, Grey Street, and Market Street with entrances serving all three streets. It houses several shops.
It should not be confused with the Royal Arcade, built by John Dobson in 1832, which was demolished in the 1960s in order to build Swan House.
Shops currently contained within the arcade currently include Starbucks, Office and J.G.Windows music store.