Cedar Street BridgeEdit profile
The Cedar Street Bridge carries Illinois Route 8, Illinois Route 29, and Illinois Route 116 over the Illinois River. It is about a mile and a half southwest from downtown. The bridge is a simple steel arch bridge that towers approximately 70 to 80 feet (24 m) above the surface of the river, and is the shortest span of the five. The name of the bridge comes from the original name of its street on the Peoria side of the river; the street itself is now called MacArthur Highway, while the bridge is still referred to as Cedar Street.
Completed in 1933, it received the Award of Merit plaque of the American Institute of Steel Construction as the most beautiful bridge in class A (costing more than $1,000,000) for that year.