Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament

Edit profile
Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament
The Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament is a cathedral serving Roman Catholics in Detroit, Michigan, and is the home of the Archdiocese of Detroit. The cathedral is at 9844 Woodward Avenue at the corner of Boston Boulevard, adjacent to the Boston-Edison Historic District in Detroit. The cathedral was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

History
Most Blessed Sacrament parish was established in 1905 to serve Catholics in what was then the northern city limits of Detroit. The parish was initially plagued with financial problems. Construction of the church started in 1913, but proceeded rather slowly. The interior was finished in 1930, with the dedication of the interior on Thanksgiving of that year. Detroit had been elevated to an archdiocese in 1938, and Most Blessed Sacrament was chosen to be the cathedral church. However, the exterior was not finished until 1951, coinciding with the 250th anniversary of Detroit's founding. Its consecration on November 17,1951 was carried on live television.

Architecture
The cathedral's architect was Henry A. Walsh of Cleveland, Ohio, who designed the cathedral in a Norman Gothic style. Due to the length of the construction, Walsh was unable to see the project to completion, and Detroit architect George Diehl was chosen to succeed him for the construction of the towers in 1950. The building's exterior is made of Indiana limestone and Ohio sandstone. The Cathedral includes statuary by sculptor Corrado Parducci.

Papal visit of 1987
Although Pope John Paul II's visit to the United States was originally scheduled to include only areas in the southern and western parts of the country, Detroit's cardinal archbishop Edmund Szoka campaigned to have him visit the Detroit area. He made a direct request to the Pope during a visit to the Vatican City. The Pope arrived in Detroit on September 18, 1987, and spoke before large crowds in Hamtramck, Hart Plaza and the Pontiac Silverdome. During John Paul II's visit, he visited guests at the cathedral and stayed at the archbishop's residence.