Cathedral of St. BartholomewEdit profile
The Cathedral of Saint Bartholomew (in Czech katedrála sv. Bartoloměje) dominates the city center of Pilsen in the Czech Republic.
The construction of the Gothic style building, located on the main square, started in 1295 and was finished by the beginning of 16th century.
The building is 58m long, 30m wide and the spires are 25m high. The tall spire is 102.6m high, being the highest in the Czech Republic, and also the third tallest building in the Czech Republic (tallest buildings in the Czech Republic) (until 1981).
The Madonna of Plzeň, a statue situated next to the altar, dates from 1390. The statue is an example of the "beautiful style" of the Czech Madonnas in gothic art. Šternberk Chapel, built during the first half of 16th century and decorated with Renaissance wall paintings, was restored from ruins during 20th century.
In 1993, when Pope John Paul II erected the Diocese of Plzeň, the church of St. Bartholomew was consecrated as the cathedral of the new diocese.
The building is a state-protected cultural monument and is open to the public.