Cathedral of Saint Peter in BellevilleEdit profile
The Cathedral of Saint Peter is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Belleville, located in Belleville, Illinois.
The cathedral parish of Saint Peter was founded in 1842 at a location east of the present structure, and named after Saint Barnabas the Apostle; it was rededicated to Saint Peter in 1847. By 1863, the need was recognized for a larger structure. A brick church was built on the cathedral's present site, and dedicated in 1866.
In 1887, the Diocese of Belleville had been newly erected, and the church was chosen for consecration as St. Peter's Cathedral. It was, however, nearly destroyed by fire in 1912—only the exterior brick walls remained. The present structure's Gothic architecture was modeled after that of the Cathedral of Exeter, England. The brick walls were covered with Winona split-face dolomitic limestone in 1956, and trimmed with Indiana limestone. A major renovation was undertaken in 1966, as the sanctuary was remodeled and the south end of the cathedral expanded.
The current seating capacity of the cathedral is 1,270 people, and two organs are located inside.