Castle Tioram
Castle Tioram (pronounced " Chee-rum" from Scottish Gaelic "Caisteal Tioram" meaning "dry castle") is a ruined castle that sits on the tidal island Eilean Tioram in Loch Moidart, Lochaber, Highland, Scotland. It is located west of Acharacle, approximately 80 kilometres from Fort William. Though hidden from the sea, the castle controls access to Loch Shiel. The castle - a listed building and scheduled ancient monument - is the traditional seat of the Clan MacDonald of Clan Ranald, a branch of Clan Donald. Castle Tioram was seized by Government forces around 1692 when Clan Chief Allan of Clanranald joined the Jacobite Court in France, despite having sworn allegiance to the British Crown. A small garrison was stationed in the Castle until the Jacobite Uprising of 1715 when Allan recaptured and torched the castle, purportedly to keep it out of the hands of the Hanoverian forces. It has been unoccupied since that time, although there are some accounts suggesting it was partially inhabited thereafter including storage of firearms from the De Tuillay in the 1745 Jacobite Uprising and Lady Grange's account of her kidnapping. The curtain wall is believed to date from the 13th century whilst The tower and other interior buildings are of 15th to 17th century construction. The castle is now in extremely poor condition and in 1998 was closed to the public at the request of Highland Council; a major structural collapse occurred at the northwest curtain wall in 2000. Controversial proposals to restore the castle by the new owners, Anta Estates, were announced in 1997 and received planning consent from Highland Council. This included the creation of a clan centre/museum, domestic apartments, and public access. However, Historic Scotland refused Scheduled Monument Consent - a decision upheld after a local public inquiry. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments in Scotland ( RCAHMS) holds a substantial archive of research information, drawings, and photographs lodged by the current owners. The castle can be reached on foot across the tidal causeway, but there is no access to the interior because of the risk of falling masonry.