Castelsardo CathedralEdit profile
The Co-Cathedral of Castelsardo is a church in Castelsardo, northern Sardinia, Italy. It is entitled to St. Anthony the Abbot.
The church became the seat of the diocese of Ampurias in 1503, and the current edifice date to the reconstruction carried on between 1597 and the 18th century.Description
The cathedral is a mix of Catalan Gothic and Renaissance elements, and overlooks the sea directly. The interior is on the Latin cross plan, with a single nave with barrel vaults, side chapels and transept. The crossing has instead a cross vault, with four pilasters with sculpted capitals.
The church has a tall bell tower, topped by a small dome decorated with majolica.
The presbytery is raised, and has a marble balaustrade. The apse, with a cross vault decorated with stars, houses the 1810 marble high altar, characterized by the church's main attraction, the Enthroned Madonna with Child painting from the 15th century, attributed to the Master of Castelsardo. Also from the latter artist is a St. Michael Archangel in the church's subterraneans, now home to the diocesan museum.
Coordinates: 40°55′1″N 8°42′45″E / 40.91694°N 8.7125°E / 40.91694; 8.7125