Casselman Bridge, National Road

Edit profile
Casselman Bridge, National Road

Casselman Bridge, also known as Casselmans Bridge, was completed in 1811 and opened for traffic in 1813 to carry the National Road across the Casselman River near Grantsville in western Maryland. The bridge was built to aid in the westward movement through the wilderness west of Cumberland. The 354 feet (108 m) long stone arch bridge spans 48 feet (15 m) with a 30-foot (9.1 m) high arch.

It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1964.

It is located 0.5 miles (0.80 km) east of Grantsville, Maryland beside what is now US 40. While highway traffic no longer crosses the bridge, it remains in good condition.

Rehabilitation and Preservation

In the 1940s and early 1950s efforts were made to preserve the bridge. Sections of the bridge had started to crumble and fall apart. The bridge was patched and preserved as well as possible at the time. In 1979 the bridge was inspected structurally and rehabilitation plans were designed by Wallace, Montgomery & Associates, LLP to help save the structure and return it to its original state.

Casselman River Bridge State Park

The bridge and surrounding 4 acres are preserved as Casselman River Bridge State Park. The bridge is open to pedestrians, and there are fishing opportunities in Casselman River.

Historic Stanton's Mill is adjacent to the park.

Photo gallery
  • The Casselman Bridge photographed in 1940 with crumbling sides.

  • Deterioration of the bridge in the 1940s.

  • Deteriorated side of the bridge in the 1940s.

  • The 1979 construction to rehabilitate the bridge sidewalls.

  • Hole through the side of the bridge high above the Casselman River.

  • The 1979 rehabilitation to the bridge roadway.

  • The 1979 arch rehabilitation and stream preservation closeup.

  • The 1979 arch rehabilitation and stream preservation.

  • Arch work in 1979 rehabilitation efforts.

  • 1979 photo following the rehabilitation project by WM&A.

  • 1979 approach photo as bridge is re-opened.

  • 1979 Aerial photo of newly opened structure.

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com