Cass Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church

Edit profile
Cass Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church
The Cass Community United Methodist Church is located at 3901 Cass Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. It was built in 1883 as the Cass Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, and designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1985.

History
The Cass Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in 1880. In 1883, the congregation hired architectural firm Mason and Rice to design a church at the corner of Cass and Selden. In 1891, Malcomson and Higginbotham designed an addition on the eastern side, which is now the main portion of the church. Early in the life of the church, the congregation was well-to-do. In the 1920s, however, the membership declined as congregants moved from the area and the character of the neighborhood changed. However, the church decided to remain in the neighborhood and minister to and with the new residents. The church is still operating as a United Methodist congregation, with services that change to meet the needs of the neighborhood.

Building Activity

  • Kiril Georgiev
    Kiril Georgiev activity.buildings_person.create
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com