Carlisle CathedralEdit profile
The Cathedral Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity, otherwise called Carlisle Cathedral, is the seat of the Anglican Bishop of Carlisle. It is located in Carlisle, in Cumbria, North West England. It was founded as an Augustinian monastery and became a cathedral in 1133.
Carlisle, because of heavy losses to its fabric, is the second smallest (after Oxford), of England's ancient cathedrals. Its notable features include some fine figurative stone carving, a set of medieval choir stalls and the largest window in the Flowing Decorated Gothic style in England.History
Carlisle Cathedral was begun in 1123, during the reign of King Henry I, as an Augustinian Priory of the Roman Catholic Church. Although many large churches of Augustinian foundation were built in England during this period, the Archbishop of Canterbury William de Corbeil, being a member of this order, Carlisle is one of only four Augustinian churches in England to become a Cathedral, most monastic cathedrals being Benedictine. The church was begun by Athelwold, an Englishman, who was to become the first prior. In 1133, the church was raised to the status of cathedral and Athelwold became the first Bishop of Carlisle (1133–55). The building was refurbished in the 13th and 14th centuries, receiving impetus from the presence of the court of Edward I in 1307. In the 15th and early 16th centuries, the monastic buildings were renewed.
With the Dissolution of the Monasteries from 1536, and the establishment by Henry VIII of the Church of England as the country's official church, Carlisle, along with the other monastic cathedrals, was run by a secular chapter like the cathedrals at Lincoln and York, which practice has continued to this day. During the time of the English Civil War, a portion of the nave of the cathedral was demolished by the Scottish Presbyterian Army in order to use the stone to reinforce Carlisle Castle. Between 1853-70 Carlisle Cathedral was restored by Ewan Christian. In the early 19th century, the cathedral became the subject for a geometric analysis by Robert William Billings.Architecture
Carlisle Cathedral was commenced in 1123 as a monastic church, possibly on the foundations of an earlier church, in the Norman architectural style with solid masonry, large round piers, round arches and smallish round headed windows. These features may still be seen in the south transept and the remaining two bays of the nave, which are now used as the Chapel of the Border Regiment. The stone is the local Red Sandstone which has discoloured almost to black on parts of the exterior. The building has also suffered from subsidence which is evidenced by the piers, which lean at different angles.
In the 13th century, the choir of the cathedral was rebuilt in the Gothic style, wider than the original and on a different axis. However, the new work was severely damaged in a fire in 1292, and the work was recommenced. By 1322 the arcades and the easternmost bay were complete, with the elaborate tracery and glass of the east window being in place by about 1350. The upper stages of the walls were finished, probably by the architect John Lewen who died in about 1398. The Gothic arcade has richly moulded arches with dog's tooth decoration, and the twelve capitals are carved with vegetation along with small lively figures representing the labours of the months.
The choir is roofed by a fine wooden barrel vault dating from the 14th century. In 1856 this was restored and repainted to a new design by Owen Jones. It is thought the eastern bays of the cathedral never received a stone vault because at some point the central spire blew down, and funds were required to rebuild the damaged tower and north transept, completed about 1420.
The most significant architectural feature of Carlisle Cathedral is its East Window. The tracery of this window is in the most complex of English Gothic styles, Flowing Decorated Gothic. It is the largest and most complex such window in England, being 51 feet high and 26 feet wide. It has nine lights, and tracery, which, it has been calculated, was drafted from 263 points. The tracery of the window still contains much of its original medieval glass.
Carlisle Cathedral has a fine set of 46 carved wooden choir stalls, which were installed in the early 15th century, while the delicate gilt canopy over the High Altar is a modern work designed by Sir Charles Nicholson.
The choir contains forty six, 15th century Misericords.
Misericords are hinged seats, “constructed to keep the monks from falling asleep while at prayers,” and carved with numerous figures and creatures. Despite their purpose, the “pillars supporting the canopies bear traces of having been burnt, by weary monks who dropped off to sleep in the midst of their interminable devotions while holding a lighted candle in their hands.” The misericords were made out of black oak, and their backs carved with scenes of the legends of St. Anthony the Hermit, St. Cuthbert, St. Augustine, and the twelve apostles, as well as mythical themes. The misericords of Carlisle include typical iconography of “half-length angels, beasts deriving from the Bestiary, hybrid creatures, and narrative scenes, including the inverted world theme of the Woman beating a Man that no decent set of misericords could be without.”
Other buildings of interest in the precinct are the Fratry dating from about 1500 and the Gatehouse of 1527. The Deanery incorporates a 15th century pele tower, called The Prior's Tower, containing a fine contemporary painted ceiling.Music
The earliest documented organ at Carlisle Cathedral is one mentioned in an inventory of 1571. The present organ was built by Henry Willis in 1856 and was innovative for its date. It was enlarged in 1875 to include the 32 foot pipes. In 1906 it was further extended by Harrison & Harrison. In 1930, the organ was moved to its present position by an unknown builder. In 1962, J. W. Walker & Sons Ltd rebuilt the organ to give it a more classical sound. In 1997, a rebuilding by David Wells sought to restore the organ to its original Victorian tone. At this time a number of new stops were added. The organ has 4 manuals, 72 stops: Pedal 18 stops, Positive 14 stops, Great 13 stops, Swell 14 stops, Solo 13 stops. The present organist is Jeremy Suter.Organists
- 1560 Thomas Southick
- 1587 Robert James
- 1610 James Pearson
- 1630 Robert Dalton
- 1663 John How
- 1693 Timothy How
- 1734 Abraham Dobinson
- 1749 Charles Pick
- 1781 Thomas Greatorex
- 1785 Thomas Hill
- 1833 Richard Ingham
- 1841 James Stimpson (afterwards Birmingham City Organist and organist of St Martin in the Bull Ring, Birmingham)
- 1842 Henry Edmund Ford
- 1903 E. G. Mercer
- 1904 Sydney Nicholson
- 1910 Frederick William Wadely
- 1960 Robert Andrew Seivewright
- 1991 Jeremy Suter
- Stanley G. P. Stubbs 1900 - 1902 (afterwards Acting Organist)
- Charles Frederick Eastwood 1915 - 1919
- G. F. Stuart 1932 - 1934
- Keith Burton-Nickson 1940 - 1945
- William L. Snowdon
- Ifor James
- Christopher Rathbone 1970 - 1973
- Hugh Davies 1974 - 1985
- Andrew Shaw 1985 - 1987
- Andrew Sackett 1987 - 1989
- Ian Hare 1989 - 1995
- Charles Harrison 1995 - 1999
- David Gibbs 2000 - 2005
- John Robinson 2005 - 2008
- Edward Taylor 2008 - (formerly Organ Scholar at Ely Cathedral)
See also the List of Organ Scholars at Carlisle Cathedral.Choirs
The Carlisle Cathedral Choir dates from the foundation of the cathedral in 1133, when four laymen and six boys choristers assisted the canons with music.
In 1545, the Cathedral Statutes provided for four lay clerks and six choristers, who were to be "boys of tender age with sonorous voices and apt at chanting".
The present Cathedral Choir consists of 16 choristers and 6 lay clerks. The choristers were originally educated at the Cathedral's Choir School but this was closed in 1935 and the boys are drawn from local schools. There is now also of 16 girl choristers, who alternate with the boys in singing three services a week, with Evensong sung daily except Saturday, and Choral Eucharist at 10.30 on Sunday. The boys and girls are aged from 8–13 years and are recruited from local schools. They are selected at voice trials held during the year and receive a thorough musical training. They are awarded an annual bursary and pocket money.
The Cathedral also has a Youth Choir for boys and girls aged 13–18 years who sing services in the Cathedral once a week during term time. They are conducted by Edward Taylor the assistant organist. The Youth Choir last went on tour to Brittany in October 2010.
The Voluntary Choir, consisting of mixed voices, was formed to sing occasional services in the absence of the Cathedral and Youth Choirs.
In 1999 the Carlisle Cathedral Music Appeal was launched with a target of £750,000 to establish a choral foundation to enable annual bursaries and free instrumental lessons to be provided for the choristers, and scholarships and vocal tuition for the choral scholars.Burials
- Robert de Chauncy, Bishop of Carlisle (1257–1278)
- Ralph of Irton, Bishop of Carlisle (1278–1292)
- John de Halton, Bishop of Carlisle (1292–1324)
- John May (bishop)
- Richard Senhouse, Bishop of Carlisle (1624–1626) - preached the coronation sermon for Charles I
- Edmund Law, Bishop of Carlisle (1768–1787)
- Samuel Waldegrave, Bishop of Carlisle (1860–1869)
OpenBuildings updated a digital referenceabout 6 years ago via Annotator
OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital referenceabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.createabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
MARK KENNEY updated 4 mediaabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
MARK KENNEY uploaded a media fileabout 6 years ago via Mobile