Carey Baptist Church
Carey Baptist Church is an independent evangelical/ baptist church in Reading, England.

History
The church was founded in 1867 and was named after William Carey, a famous missionary from Northamptonshire, who went to India in 1793, and never returned to his homeland. The chapel was opened in 1871 in Tappenden Street which was subsequently renamed Carey Street after the church. Additional premises, The Carey Centre, in Anstey Road (a parallel road behind the chapel) were acquired in 1993, following the closure of Central Evangelical Church. As of June 2009, Carey Baptist Church now owns part of what was the Oasis Public House.

Carey today
The church building is on Carey Street in central Reading, close to the Inner Distribution Road (IDR), Oxford Road, and The Hexagon. The main service times are 10:30 and 18:30 on Sunday. MP3-format files of the sermons are available on the church's website and Sunday services are streamed live from the website. The church is affiliated to Affinity and the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches. The current pastors are James Muldoon after Basil Howlett retired from the position of co-pastor in January 2009 and David Magowan who took up the role of co-pastor in September 2009. Jamie Cater joined as assistant pastor in April 2007 and as of January 2009 has now been appointed position of Church Evangelist, a role which entails overseeing the outreach and evangelistic work of the church. The current apprentices are Liam Hayward (replacing Adam Goddard), Graham Newton, and Emma Tappin. Jonathan Stephen left the church on 16 July 2006 to take up the position of principal of the Wales Evangelical School of Theology in September 2006.

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 9 media and uploaded a media file
    dmgy location map united kingdom reading
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com