Captain David Judson HouseEdit profile
Captain David Judson House was built by David Judson, a resident of Stratford, Connecticut, in 1723. The 1723 house was built on the stone foundation and incorporates part of the chimney of the original house built in 1639 by Judson's great grandfather William. The first floor, now the cellar, is above ground level and contains a massive central stone chimney which was built with lug poles. It is believed that the cellar was used as slave quarters during the early 18th century. The new house, built circa 1723, is designed in the style of early Georgian architecture, or colonial Georgian, found throughout the American colonies during this time. The furnishings are entirely period pieces of Stratford origin, dating from the 18th century and includes a piano which belonged to William Samuel Johnson, framer of the United States Constitution, and also the second president of Columbia University. The piano has been on display at George Washington's plantation Mount Vernon. The house also has various other works of historical and artistic significance, displayed for the public. The Judson House broken scroll pediment entry is one of the finest in Connecticut. An architectural drawing was used on the cover of J. Frederick Kelly's Early Domestic Architecture of Connecticut published in 1924. Captain David Judson House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 20, 1973. It is also included in the Stratford Center Historic District, which was listed on the NRHP in 1978. The house is open to the public and is operated as a historic house museum and research library by the Stratford Historical Society, and is located at 967 Academy Hill in Stratford.