Capt. Salem Avery HouseEdit profile
The Capt. Salem Avery House is a historic home and museum at Shady Side, Anne Arundel County, Maryland. It is a two-story frame building, located on a 0.75-acre (3,000 m2) rectangular lot, overlooking the West River and Chesapeake Bay. The property consists of the main house with additions; three sheds formerly used as bath houses; and a modern boathouse built in 1993, featuring the locally built EDNA FLORENCE, a 1937 Chesapeake Bay deadrise workboat. The two-story house consists of the original residence, constructed about 1860, which was later expanded the 19th century and in the 1920s, by the National Masonic Fishing and Country Club..
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
The house is now a local history museum known as Captain Salem Avery Museum, and is operated by the Shady Side Rural Heritage Society.