Cannon Hill ParkEdit profile
Cannon Hill Park ( grid reference SP065835 ) is a park located in south Birmingham, England. Its main vehicular entrance is in Edgbaston, opposite the Edgbaston Cricket Ground, but the park and the Midlands Arts Centre are across the river in Moseley. In April 1873, a local benefactor, Miss Louisa Ann Ryland (1814-89) of Barford Hill House, Warwickshire, gave 57 acres (230,000 m 2) of meadow land to the Corporation and paid for the draining of the site to create a public park. It opened to the public in September of that year. A further 7 acres (28,000 m 2) were given by Sir John Holder-Bart in 1897, and in 1898 5 acres (20,000 m 2) were acquired to straighten the River Rea, which is now culverted and runs along the western edge. In 1911 a 16th century timbered house was moved from Deritend and re-erected in the park by the Birmingham Archaeological Society, to serve as a refreshment room and cricket pavilion. Named the Golden Lion Inn it is a Grade II listed building but is now in a very poor state of repair and fenced-off. The bandstand, the bridge over the lake, and Cannon Hill House are also Grade II Listed. The park contains the mac (Midlands Arts Centre), Birmingham Nature Centre, tennis courts, two children's playgrounds and two lakes. It plays host BRMB's Party in the Park. Across the road from the park is Edgbaston Cricket Ground, home of the Warwickshire County Cricket Club. A scale model of the Elan Valley Reservoirs, in the form of ornamental ponds, is located near the mac. It was built in the 1960s.