Cambridge Castle
Cambridge Castle was a castle located near Shire Hall in Cambridge, England. All that remains of the site now is the artificial motte. The castle was built in 1068 by the conquering Normans as a timber and masonry motte and bailey fortress overlooking the small settlement of Grantabridge, as Cambridge was known then, by the River Cam. In the 13th century it was rebuilt in stone, and remained a powerful stronghold until being partially rebuilt during the Civil War. The 19th century saw its use as a prison fall into neglect, and much of the stone was removed for use in the construction of new college buildings for the University. The twin-towered gatehouse was dismantled in 1842 and the site of the bailey is now occupied by the Cambridgeshire County Council's headquarters at Shire Hall. The remaining motte, known locally as Castle Mound, is found just north of the river on Castle Hill, and is the highest point in the city. It is open to the public daily with no admission fee, and offers views over the historic buildings of the city.