Caliente Railroad DepotEdit profile
Caliente Railroad Depot is a historic Mission Revival Style railway station, located in Caliente, Lincoln County, Nevada. The Depot is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is Nevada Historical Marker number 249.History
The Caliente Railroad Depot was built by the Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad (later the Union Pacific Railroad) in 1923 to serve the railroad's division point on the mainline between Los Angeles, California and Salt Lake City, Utah.
The depot is a two story wood frame stucco building. The first floor held the passenger waiting room, station agent's office and other railroad offices. The second floor was used as a hotel.
The division point at Caliente served as a maintenance facility and was a base for helper locomotives. In the 1950s, as diesel locomotives replaced steam, the railroad no longer needed to use the Caliente site. Maintenance of the locomotives was moved to Las Vegas in 1948.Present day
In 1970, the building was turned over to the City of Caliente. In order to preserve the depot structure, the city moved its municipal services into the building. The Caliente Railroad Depot is now the Caliente city hall, library, and art gallery.