Calhoun Street BridgeEdit profile
The Calhoun Street Toll Supported Bridge (aka Trenton City Bridge)is a historic bridge connecting Calhoun Street in Trenton, New Jersey across the Delaware River to East Trenton Avenue in Morrisville, Pennsylvania. It was constructed by the Phoenix Bridge Company of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania in 1884. The bridge was part of the Lincoln Highway until 1920 (when the highway was moved to the free Lower Trenton Bridge), and was later connected to Brunswick Circle by the Calhoun Street Extension as part of a bypass of downtown Trenton. The bridge is owned by the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission, and is maintained with tolls from other bridges.
On May 24, 2010, the bridge completely closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic to undergo much-needed renovations including truss repair and repainting, deck replacement, and repair of approaches. The rehabilitation project was completed October 8, 2010, and the bridge was rededicated in a ceremony on October 12.Restrictions
Currently, the bridge is limited to 3 short tons (2.7 t) at 15 miles per hour (24 km/h) with a clearance of 8 feet (2.4 m).