Caledonian Road tube stationEdit profile
Coordinates: 51°32′54″N 0°07′07″W / 51.5483°N 0.1186°W / 51.5483; -0.1186
Caledonian Road is a station on the Piccadilly Line of the London Underground, between King's Cross St. Pancras and Holloway Road, and in Travelcard Zone 2. It was opened on 15 December 1906 by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway.
Caledonian Road station is located on Caledonian Road in Holloway, north London. The station continues to use lifts, never having been upgraded to escalators. Unusually for stations of its era, the lifts descend directly to platform level with no secondary staircases. In recent times this has meant that the station is now advertised as "Step Free" on line maps without rebuilding work taking place. The station is a Grade II listed building.
The next southbound station from Caledonian Road was originally York Road. This station closed in 1932, but can still be seen from trains.Service Pattern
The typical off-peak service from this station is as follows:
- 12 tph to Heathrow Airport via Central London
- 3 tph to Rayners Lane via Central London
- 3 tph to Uxbridge via Central London
- 3 tph to Northfields via Central London
- 18 tph to Cockfosters
- 3 tph to Arnos Grove
London Buses routes 17, 91 and 259 serve the station. Route 274 stops close by.
Caledonian Road and Barnsbury station on the North London Line is about half a mile to the south.
The station is close to Pentonville Prison and Caledonian Park, the site of the former Victorian Metropolitan Cattle Market, is a short distance away on Market Road.