Caerleon BridgeEdit profile
Caerleon Bridge is a bridge crossing of the River Usk at Caerleon in the city of Newport, United Kingdom. The stone built bridge was opened in 1806 as a replacement for the previous wooden bridge, it carries the B4236 road from Caerleon-ultra-Pontem into Caerleon itself. Prior to the opening of the A449 dual carriageway a few miles to the east in 1972, the narrow bridge and streets of Caerleon carried the trunk road from Newport to Raglan via Caerleon Bridge. The bridge is the furthest upstream of the nine bridges over the River Usk within the city boundaries of Newport. The foundation stone of the original Newport Bridge is set into the stonework of Caerleon Bridge bearing the inscription "This bridge was erected at the expense of the County by David Edwards and his two sons William and Thomas. Completed AD MDCCC."