Busselton Jetty
Busselton Jetty is the longest wooden jetty (pier) in the southern hemisphere, stretching almost 2 km out to sea from the town of Busselton, Western Australia. Because the shallow waters of Geographe Bay restricted ship movement, a long jetty was required so that the cut timber could be transported to the ships. In 1839 Governor Hutt appointed "the place in Geographe Bay opposite the Settlement at The Vasse to be the legal place for the loading and unloading of goods". Construction of the jetty commenced in 1853 after persistent pressure by settlers. In 1865 the first section of the jetty became available for ships to moor. In 1875 an additional 131 metres was added to the original structure, as over 10 years' accumulation of drift sands had made the water too shallow for mooring. The jetty was continually extended until the 1960s when it reached its current length of 1841 metres. The jetty also features a rail line along its length, which operated commercially as part of the railway line into Busselton from Bunbury. The last commercial ship visited the jetty on 17 October 1971. On 21 July 1972, the jetty was closed to shipping by Governor's Proclamation in the WA Gazette after more than a century of use. Once closed, government maintenance of the jetty ceased and it began to deteriorate, suffering attack by wood borers, rot and the occasional fire. On 4 April 1978, Cyclone Alby swept south down the Western Australian coast from the North-West (a rare occurrence) and destroyed a large part of the shore end of the jetty. Subsequently, townspeople banded together to try to save the jetty and eventually persuaded the State Government and the Shire Council to provide some much needed funds for repair. However, rebuilding the timber jetty proved expensive and funds soon ran out. The Jetty Preservation Society, formed in 1987, resorted to community fund-raising. Over the past 15 years, in excess of A$9 million has been committed to jetty restoration and development projects. A small tourist train operated following repairs in the 1980s and 1990s, but ceased in early 2005 due to concerns over the jetty's aging structure. In December 1999, a devastating fire burnt 65 metres of jetty to the water line incurring $900,000 damage in the process . On February 9, 2006 the Queen's Baton Relay passed through Busselton. The baton was taken along the Busselton Jetty and then taken underwater by a scuba diver. The baton passed by the Underwater Observatory during its swim to allow the media to view the event. The Jetty will be closed until August 2010 for repair work; meanwhile, only a small portion of the first 200 meters or so can be accessed.

Underwater Observatory
The observatory was opened on 13 December 2003 at a cost of A$3.5 million. Since that time, over 250,000 people have visited the attraction. The underwater observatory is located 1.8 km from shore - almost at the end of the Busselton Jetty - and can accommodate up to 40 people at a time in its 9.5 m diameter observation chamber. Descending 8 metres below sea level, visitors can view the corals and fish life through eleven viewing windows.

Interpretive Centre
The boatshed-style Interpretive Centre opened in April 2001 and is located 50 m offshore. The Interpretive Centre gives visitors a glimpse into the Jetty's rich past and its future. Changing exhibits of history, the marine environment and art are displayed in the centre.

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com