The Bush-Holley House is a National Historic Landmark in the Cos Cob section of Greenwich, Connecticut. It was constructed circa 1730 and in the late nineteenth century was a boarding house and the center of the Cos Cob Art Colony. Bush-Holley Historic Site features the circa 1730 Bush-Holley House, home of Connecticut’s first art colony. From 1890 to 1920, the house was run as a boarding house and was a gathering place for artists, writers and editors. Scores of art students came to study with leading American Impressionists John Henry Twachtman, J. Alden Weir, Theodore Robinson and Childe Hassam. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. It was further declared a National Historic Landmark in 1991. Guided tours of Bush-Holley House feature historic interiors related to the Bush and Holley families and an American Impressionist art collection. The William Hegarty Gallery presents historically and artistically significant exhibitions curated by foremost authorities on art and history. Exhibits focus on the art and artists of the Cos Cob art colony, museum collections and aspects of Greenwich history.

Building Activity

  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com