Burwood railway station, Melbourne

Edit profile
Burwood is a railway station on the Alamein line in Melbourne, Australia. It is located between Trent Street and Bardolph Street, but strangely enough is no longer located in the suburb of Burwood, because the area which used to be known as Burwood, bordered by Toorak Road to the north, Warrigal Road to the east, and Bakers Parade to the south is now known as Glen Iris. It is located 12.9 kilometres (8.0 mi) from Flinders Street Station in the centre of Melbourne and is in Metcard Zone 1.

The station has two platforms located either side of the railway tracks. The main station building itself is different to those of most of the other stations on the line, as it is a 1950s-style brick building, compared to the older wooden buildings at most of the other stations. However, on the Alamein bound platform there is an older style wooden building. A large Metcard machine is located at the entrance to platform 1 that dispenses most ticketing options, notes, and coins. A small coin only metcard machine is located at the entrance to platform 2. Though Burwood has a large car park, which is often full during the week, it is not a "premium station", and is thus unmanned, with few other facilities. However, it is near to the major thoroughfare of Toorak Road, which gives it easy access to tram routes.

Platforms, services and connecting tram service
Platform 1:
  • Suburban Metro Trains services to Flinders Street (Peak only)
  • Suburban Metro Trains services to Camberwell
Platform 2:
  • Suburban Metro Trains services to Alamein

Burwood station opened on May 30, 1890, as part of the original Outer Circle line. Confusingly, it was originally called Hartwell, with the current Hartwell station then called Hartwell Hill. It was closed for a brief stint from May 1897 until July 1898, after the closure of the Outer Circle. However, after a public outcry, it soon reopened, first as part of the Deepdene Dasher steam service. It was during this time that Hartwell and Burwood stations acquired their present names, with the switch made on August 1, 1909. In 1927, Burwood became part of the Ashburton line, which was then extended to become the present Alamein line in 1948. Burwood station is named after Burwood House, which was built by Sir William Palmer in 1852.

Route Destination Destination Tram 75 City ( Spencer & La Trobe Streets) Vermont South


1 photo

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings removed a media, updated 6 media and uploaded a media file
    about 4 years ago via OpenBuildings.com