Coordinates: 53°15′35″N 3°01′43″W / 53.2596°N 3.0285°W / 53.2596; -3.0285
Burton Manor is a manor house located in the village of Burton, Cheshire, England. It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building.History
The house was built around 1805 for Richard Congreve and remodelled in 1904 by Sir Charles Nicholson for Henry Neville Gladstone, son of William Ewart Gladstone. An orangery was added in 1910 to a design by Arthur Beresford Pite. Formerly a private house, it became an adult education college with accommodation for resident students, operated by Liverpool City Council. It closed as an adult educational college in March 2011.Architecture
The house is built in ashlar and hammer-dressed red sandstone with a roof of green slates. The chimney stacks are tall and ornate, built of stone and brick. The plan of the building is quadrangular with a central courtyard. Architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner considers it to be a "classical design of no great force" and states that its most attractive feature is the courtyard.External features
The former coach house has been listed Grade II, as have the boundary walls, gate piers and library.Garden
The garden was designed in the early 20th century as a formal garden. It was designed by T. H. Mawson with a pool, lawns, and terraces with views over extensive parkland. It is listed Grade II on the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens. The ice house in the garden has been listed at Grade II, and is a scheduled monument.