Buckinghamshire Railway CentreEdit profile
Coordinates: 51°51′54″N 0°55′44″W / 51.865°N 0.929°W / 51.865; -0.929
Buckinghamshire Railway Centre is a railway museum operated by the Quainton Railway Society Ltd. at Quainton Road railway station, in the far depths of "Metro-land", about 5 miles (8 km) west of Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire. The site is divided into two halves which are joined by two foot-bridges, one of which provides wheelchair access. Each side has a demonstration line with various workshop buildings as well as museum buildings.
Buckinghamshire Railway Centre is rail-connected because Quainton Road station is on the Network Rail freight-only line (formerly a mainline used jointly by the Great Central Railway and the Metropolitan Railway through the Metropolitan and Great Central Railways Joint Committee) which connects Aylesbury with the Bletchley to Oxford cross-country route at Claydon (LNE) Junction. This allows Chiltern Railways to operate occasional shuttle trains from Aylesbury to Quainton Road on Buckingham Railway Centre open days.
At the north-west corner of the site are the terminal buildings of 1851 from Oxford Rewley Road railway station transplanted here in 2002 to serve as reception, visitor centre and display building.Rolling Stock
- Metropolitan Railway 0-4-4T E Class no. 1 (London Transport L44). Operational and a regular on passenger trains.
- LSWR 2-4-0WT 0298 Class no. 0314 (British Railways 30585). Operational, used regularly on passenger trains.
- Peckett and Sons 0-4-0ST no. 2087. Operational and used on goods/vintage trains & occasionally on passenger trains.
- North British Locomotive Company 0-6-0T "Coventry no. 1". also "Thomas" on Thomas days, Operational and used on passenger trains.
- Peckett and Sons 0-4-0ST no. 2105 "Rokeby". Operational and used on goods/vintage trains & occasionally on passenger trains.
- Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST no. 1742 "Millom". Operational and used on goods and vintage trains, boiler ticket expires in 2018.
- GWR 0-6-0PT 5700 Class no. 7715 (London TransportL99). Operational on the North Norfolk Railway.More info NNR
- GWR 0-6-0PT 9400 Class no. 9466. Operational, can be used on the mainline, on loan to the Birmingham Railway Museum.
- Aveling and Porter 0-4-0WT no. 3587 "Sydenham". On loan to Chatham Dockyard.
- GWR 4-6-0 6959 "Modified Hall" Class no. 6989 "Wightwick Hall". Undergoing restoration.
- GWR 2-8-2T 7200 Class no. 7200. Undergoing restoration.
- Hunslet Engine Company 50550 class 0-6-0ST no. 3890. Undergoing overhaul.
- Peckett and Sons 0-4-0ST no. 1900 "Flying Bufferbeam". Britain's smallest standard-gauge steam locomotive now undergoing heavy overhaul.
- Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST no. 699 "Swanscombe". This is the oldest surviving Barclay. In use from 2002–2008, now awaiting boiler & motion repair.
- Andrew Barclay 0-4-0F no. 1477. This one of the oldest Fireless locomotives still in existence, built in 1916 now on static display awaiting overhaul.
- Sentinel Waggon Works 0-4-0 no. 9537 "Susan". Stored undercover awaiting overhaul.
- Yorkshire Engine Company 0-6-0ST no. 2498 "Chislet". On static display awaiting overhaul.
- Hawthorn Leslie and Company 0-4-0ST no. 3717. Stored undercover awaiting overhaul.
- Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0ST no. 3850 "Juno". Stored awaiting overhaul.
- Andrew Barclay 0-4-0F no. 2243. On static display awaiting overhaul.
- Sentinel Waggon Works 0-4-0 no. 9366. Stored awaiting overhaul.
- W.G. Bagnall 0-4-0ST no. 2469 "Scott". Awaiting heavy overhaul.
- Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T no. 1334 "Sir Thomas". On static display awaiting overhaul.
- Hunslet Engine Co. 0-6-0ST no. 3782 "Arthur". Stored Awaiting restoration.
- GWR Castle Class No. 5080 Defiant.
- 25NC Class 4-8-4 No. 3405 (3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm) gauge).
- Aveling and Porter 0-4-0T No. 807 Brill.
- BR 0-6-0 Class 04 no. D2298
- John Fowler & Co. 0-4-0DM No. 20067 "Osram"
- F Hibberd "Planet" 0-4-0DM No. 3765
- Hibberd 0-4-0DM No. 2102
- Hibberd 0-4-0DM No. 3271 "Walrus"
- Hunslet (Kerr Stuart) 0-4-0DM No. K4428 Redland
- Hunslet 0-4-0DM No. 2067
- Ruston & Hornsby No. 425477 Arthur
- Ruston & Hornsby No. 463153 "Hilsea"
- BR Class 115 unit 51886+59761+51889 "Aylesbury College Silver Jubilee 1987"
- Post Office Railway (London) 1930 Stock No. 803
- London Underground CO/CP Stock unit 53028+013063+54233
- New York Subway Car No. 1144
- BR Mk 1 TPO sorting van no. 80394
- London Transport brake vans nos. B557 and FB578