Brown's RestaurantEdit profile
Brown's Restaurant (grid reference ST580732) is on Queens Street, Bristol. It is currently occupied by the restaurant chain of the same name, Browns Restaurants.
It was built between 1867 and 1871 by Foster and Archibald Ponton. It was constructed with yellow brick with red brick decoration and limestone dressings, and has a pantile hipped roof. It is Venetian Gothic Revival style with elements of Bristol Byzantine architecture.
The building originally housed the City Museum and Library and opened in April 1872. It was damaged during the Bristol Blitz of World War II and then restored. The building was taken over in the 1940s by the University of Bristol and converted by Ralph Brentnall for use as the university refectory. It changed hands again and became a restaurant in 1992.
It has been designated by English Heritage as a grade II listed building.