Broadmeadows railway station, Melbourne

Edit profile
There is also a Broadmeadows station in Adelaide, as well as Broadmeadow station in Newcastle. Broadmeadows is a railway station in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, located in the suburb of Broadmeadows, on the Craigieburn railway line. Broadmeadows is classed as a Premium Station and is in Metcard Zone 2.

Facilities
Broadmeadows is located between Pascoe Vale Road and Railway Crescent, with station access from both via an underpass situated at the Flinders Street end of the station. The station consists of two side platforms; Platform 1 has a small steel shelter and a small waiting room building, while platform 2 has a large bluestone building, with an enclosed waiting area, ticket facilities and toilets with an office tower built on top. A large Metcard vending machine is located inside the platform 1 waiting area, which is able to dispense most ticketing options and also accept notes and coins. A coin-only Metcard vending machine is located inside the platform 2 waiting area. Stabling facilities are located at the down end of the station. The Melbourne - Sydney standard gauge line is adjacent to the station on the eastern side, and at the city end the Albion-Jacana freight line branches westward from the main line, providing an alternate route to Melbourne from the suburban lines via Essendon.

Platforms and services
New Platform (under construction):
  • Albury/Wodonga line - intercity services to Southern Cross/ Albury
Platform 1:
  • Craigieburn line - all stations and limited express services to Flinders Street
  • Seymour/Shepparton line - intercity services to Southern Cross
Platform 2:
  • Craigieburn line - all stations services to Craigieburn
  • Seymour and Shepparton lines - intercity services to Seymour and Shepparton
There are exceptions to the above but whats listed above is the general rule.

History
Broadmeadows station originally opened on 1 February 1873, the railway having opened in 1872 as part of the North East railway to Wodonga. At the time of opening the village of Broadmeadows was located some distance from the station, becoming known as "Old Broadmeadows" and now Westmeadows. It was not until the post Second World War housing developments that the gap between the old town and the station were filled. The station was initially provided with a 150-foot (46 m) long platform, a goods siding and shed, and a passing loop for trains on the single track. This early station was closer to Camp Road than the station today. A permanent station building was provided in 1878 along with a longer platform, all on the present site. In 1885 the line was duplicated, and a second platform of timber construction provided. Electric train services between Broadmeadows and the city were inaugurated in 1921, however Essendon remained the terminus of most suburban services, with a shuttle service operating beyond until 1925, with all day through services to Broadmeadows not provided until 1941. Stabling sidings for electric trains were provided in 1927, and were expanded in 1963 and 1964. The up platform had been reconstructed in 1960. The original 1878 station building was replaced in 1990 as part of a commercial development of the site, with the station upgraded to a Premium Station on 21 March 1996, although the waiting room and ticket facilities were already there. Suburban electric services were extended to Craigieburn in 2007, with the siding closest to the Standard Gauge line being removed. In 1920 sheds and sidings for bagged wheat were provided to handle the overflow from the port of Williamstown. The level crossing at Camp Road was initially protected by hand operated gates, with boom barriers provided in 1961, and the current overpass in 1978. Barry Road also had a level crossing but was replaced by the current overpass in the late 1950s as part of the construction of the standard gauge line. The lever frame in the signal box was provided in 1889, being replaced in 1929 when the Albion-Jacana freight line opened. Mechanical signalling along the line to Essendon was abolished in 1965, but it was not until 2000 that a Westrace solid state interlocking was provided. Control of this was moved to Craigieburn in 2007 as part of the extension of electrification. A third platform on the parallel standard gauge line is due to be completed in late 2009, as part of the North East Rail Revitalisation Project, which will see the V/Line Albury-Wodonga service operating on standard gauge.

Broadstore Branch Line
An Army siding was provided during the Second World War to Broadstore, located to the north-east of the station, opening on October 12, 1942, and remaining in place until 1982; however, the track was not lifted until after 1991. The Broadstore Line was a single unelectrified track, and extended in a directly easterly direction for approximately 1.6 km towards the Upfield Line terminating at the Maygar Barracks in Campbellfield. At one time, according to Forsberg, it also had a further branch that supplied a migrant hostel. The Broadstore branch line is clearly marked on the maps of Victorian Railways (1950, 1960, 1970, and 1980 ), terminating in a station marked "Broadstore".

Media

1 photo

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 6 media and uploaded a media file
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com