Bristol Royal InfirmaryEdit profile
The Bristol Royal Infirmary, also known as the BRI, is a large teaching hospital situated in the centre of Bristol, England. It has links with the medical faculty of the nearby University of Bristol, and the Faculty of Health and Social Care at the University of the West of England, also in Bristol. The BRI is one of eight hospitals operated by the University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust (UHBristol), Bristol's largest NHS trust. A wealthy city merchant, Paul Fisher, was prominent in the foundation of hospital in 1735. In 1904, Sir George White, who gave Bristol its first electric tramway service and established what was to become the Bristol Aeroplane Company, saved the hospital from a major financial crisis, and later masterminded the construction of the BRI Edward VII Memorial Wing, designed by Charles Holden. Acquired by the National Health Service in 1948, the hospital's facilities were greatly extended in the 1960s. The Queen's Building extension opened in 1972. The Bristol Haematology and Oncology Centre, located behind the main hospital building, opened in 1971. The deaths of a number of babies and young children during heart surgery during the period 1984”“1995 led to the Kennedy Report into paediatric cardiac surgical services at the hospital. The report led to greater emphasis on clinical governance within the NHS and the publication of the performance ratings of individual heart surgeons. A linked and co-located hospital is the Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, which is designed to be appealing and more suitable for children. Notable former medical staff include Geoffrey Tovey, serologist and founder of the UK Transplant Service.