Boscobel House
Boscobel House ( grid reference SJ837082 ), in the parish of Boscobel on the Shropshire/ Staffordshire border, near Wolverhampton and Albrighton, England, was built around 1632, when landowner John Giffard of White Ladies Priory converted a timber-framed farmhouse into a hunting lodge. Boscobel House became one of the most evocative sites in the English historical imagination. It was at this property that Charles II hid in a tree to escape discovery by Parliamentary soldiers after the Battle of Worcester. See also the article on Escape of Charles II. It is a Grade II* listed building and has several other listed features. It is under the care of English Heritage.

Giffard called the new hunting lodge Boscobel House which is believed to come from the Italian phrase "bosco bello" meaning "in the midst of fair woods". In 1632, Boscobel House was surrounded by dense woodlands.

Royal Oak
The Giffard family were Catholics and, at that time, the Catholic religion was viewed with great suspicion. The house itself served as a secret place for the shelter of Catholic priests with numerous priest-holes and hiding places dotted around the premises. This secret purpose of the house was to play a key part in the history of the country. Near the end of the English Civil War, after the Battle of Worcester, Charles II fled for his life, seeking refuge at Boscobel House. Colonel William Careless and the King spent all day hiding in a nearby oak tree (which became known as The Royal Oak) from where he could see the patrols searching for him. Later Charles spent the night hiding in one of Boscobel’s Priest holes.


2 photos

Building Activity

  • removed a media and updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via
  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator