Borough House PlantationEdit profile
Borough House Plantation, also known as Borough House, Hillcrest Plantation and Anderson Place, is an historic place in Stateburg, in the High Hills of Santee near Sumter, South Carolina. The original house built in 1758 served at different times during the American Revolution as headquarters for both British General Lord Cornwallis and American General Nathanael Greene. The second house was built in 1820 of rammed earth by William Wallace Anderson, M.D. On October 7, 1821, his wife, the former Mary Jane Mackensie, gave birth there to their son, Richard H. Anderson, the future Confederate Army general. Stateburg was originally called Stateborough, and when the town was laid out, Borough House was the only residence in it, hence the name. In 1850-1852, Dr. Anderson chaired the committee that built the Church of the Holy Cross of rammed earth across the road from Borough Hall. In 1851, Joel Roberts Poinsett, physician, American statesman and botanist. died while visiting Dr. Anderson and was buried in the churchyard across the road. Its National Historic Landmark description states: "Constructed in 1821, the Borough House Plantation complex contains the oldest and largest collection of "high style" pise de terre (rammed earth) buildings in the United States. Six of the 27 dependencies and portions of the main house were constructed using this ancient technique, which was introduced to this country in 1806 through the book RURAL ECONOMY by S.W. Johnson." On March 23, 1972, Borough Hall Plantation was added to the National Register of Historic Places and declared a National Historic Landmark. Borough Hall Plantation is located on SC 261 0.8 mi. N of its intersection with U.S. Route 76/ US Route 378. It is in the Stateburg Historic District. The South Carolina Department of Archives and History summary is here.