Boris Paichadze StadiumEdit profile
The Boris Paichadze National Stadium (Georgian: ბორის პაიჭაძის სახელობის ეროვნული სტადიონი), also known as the Dinamo Stadium, is a football stadium in Tbilisi, Georgia. It is the home stadium of FC Dinamo Tbilisi. The stadium was built in 1976 by Georgian architect Gia Kurdiani. Before then Dinamo's stadium was a smaller ground with a maximum capacity of 35,000. The demand for a new, bigger stadium was increased because of the successful performance of Dinamo Tbilisi. When the new stadium was built, it had the third-largest capacity in the Soviet Union. It could hold 74,354 supporters and fulfill all standards and requirements of Soviet Football Federation as well as UEFA.
The first official match played was on September 29, 1976. This was a UEFA cups last 32 match between FC Dinamo Tbilisi and Cardiff City FC, Wales. The opening game ended successfully for Dinamo, with the score 3:0.
The stadium hosted many glorious days during Dynamo's 1978 and 1979 triumphs. Holding lighted torches, 80,000 fans came in 1981 just to congratulate the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup winning team FC Dinamo Tbilisi.
The National Stadium is now one of the best in Eastern Europe. Most of the seats in the second tier are covered by the roof. The USSR national football team played several international matches in Tbilisi "Dinamo" Stadium. Also football clubs Spartak Moscow and Dynamo Kiev often played their autumn international matches at the stadium.
100,000 fans attended on the opening game of the First Georgian Championship, match between FC Dinamo Tbilisi and FC Kolkheti-1913 Poti. The record attendance was in 1979, when 110,000 gathered to help Dinamo beat Liverpool FC 3:0 to go through to the European Champion Clubs' Cup quarter final. In the Soviet Union, the stadium had the record for the highest average attendance at 45,000. The record attendance was repeated in 1995 for Georgia vs. Germany when the attendance was 110,000 again.
In 1995 the stadium was renamed to Boris Paichadze National Stadium. Paichadze was a legendary former Georgian football player. The National Stadium was the home ground of the Georgian National Football Team for several years. Georgia achieved memorable wins against Wales (5-0), and Poland (3-0). The stadium is also a frequent venue for the Georgia rugby union team.
The stadium was most recently refurbished in 2006 when it became an all-seater stadium. This reduced the capacity to 54,549.History
A newly built “Dynamo” stadium, housing 23 000 spectators was inaugurated in Tbilisi in 1936. The author of the project design was Architect Archil Kurdiani (the elder).
It was under his leadership that in 1956 the stadium has been subject to reconstruction with the edition of steel structures, which has made it possible to increase its occupancy up to 36.000 spectators.
The reconstructed "Dinamo" stadium was inaugurated in 1976, September 26 . Its author, Architect Archil Kurdiani (the elder) together with the Author and Chief Architect Gia Kurdiani and Construction Designer Shalva Gazashvili have yet again extended the occupancy of spectators up to 75 000.
Fragments of the 1936 Stadium were partly maintained, and yet quite complex architectural-designing construction elements were realized. The facility represented a console system supported by 58 pylons. Each of these pylons been supported by 24 poles, where the depth of each ranged from 8 to 12 meters. The console system comprised several elements. The evacuation terrace was arranging spectators ascending by 23 staris between the II and I tiers. The II tier, like the evacuation terrace, represented an element of indivisible console system.
The solution for Roofing of II tier was also of the console design. 30 meter console-design roofing protects spectators against precipitations.
The Author’s approach for calculating and designing the Visual angle for II tier was original thus ensuring full visibility of the stadium for any spectator from any seat. The roof was also used as a cite for placement of lightning and insonification. The stadium was equipped by two electronic boards. At the level of evacuation terrace were arranged government boxes and commentary studios. The area below evacuation terrace and Ist tier tribunes housed floor sporting facilities, swimming pool, adminsitrative unit and other administrative facilities arranged at floors from 1 to 2. The Stadium, along its entire perimeter was encircled by 2 communication tunnels. One at the ground level , while the other between the ground level and evacuation terrace. The stadium was fenced.
The Stadium had access to one avenue and three main streets and its entire perimeter was furnished with entrance/exit and evacuation exits. There were 13 ticket boxes along the fence perimeter. For decades, owing to lack of funds no repair-rehabilitation works have been undertaken at the Stadium bringing it to a deplorable condition.
In April 2006 a decision was taken for reconstruction-rehabilitation of the National Stadium and bringing it in line with the UEFA standards. The reconstruction works were to be completed so as to host the international match of 2 September 2006. The designers and constructors were faced with a tremendous and complex task in terms of scale of works and time frame. The Working group was established on an ad hoc basis comprising Ltd. "Dinamoinvest" - the Contractor and Ltd “New City”- General Contractor, Company from Tbilisi. Architecture, project designe and design related works were undertaken by the “Studio of Gia and Archil Kurdianis “Dynasty” led by the Author-Architect Gia Kurdiani and the Author and Chief Project’s Architect Archil Kurdiani the Junior.The project designing process was assisted by: Architects: Levan Chkhaidze and David Slovinsky Constructor: Otar Kvrivishvili, Designers: Vladimer Kobakhidze and Nikoloz Jgharkava. Studio "Dynasty" prepared the design in close collaboration with the specialists from the Zavriev Institute of Construction Mechanics and Seismicity by the Academy of Sciences of Georgia invited by the Contractor.
The works, in the first place, comprised the detailed and thorough examination of each construction/design detail and junction. Respective strategy was elaborated for reinforcement and rehabilitation of defective junctions and, in most cases, for entire reconstruction of element. Every recommendation and suggestion made by the "Zavriev Institute of Construction" Mechanics and Seismology by the Academy of Sciences of Georgia was duly considered by the Studio Dynasty, calculated, given a graphical shape respectively and then coordinated with the Academy representatives seeking final agreement. Only upon completion of these phases respective orders and instructions were given to the implementing party. In parallel with the above, was undertaken designing, replanning of the existing and preparation of new lay-out plans in view of aligning the Stadium with the UEFA standards.
UEFA has wide range of and quite strict requirements. Therefore, ensuring the conformity with these standards implied voluminous work. In particular, special focus was given to organizing area for Media representatives and special commentary studios. Within open, though roofed tribunes special boxes were arranged for Media, furnished with desks, power supply and communication network.
The project also comprises: a conference room with the occupancy of 180 seats, working area for Media, cafe, WCs; Besides the boxes for the President and government representatives there were arranged 52 VIP boxes, including the business-cafe.
Layout of the 1st tier West and East tribunes was entirely re-planned, making it possible to organize comfortable VIP seats. Special comfortable seats with WCs were also arranged for handicapped people.
The layout was entirely re-planned ensuring the alignment with the UEFA standards for locker rooms for host and guest teams with showers and WCs, medical room, including doping control facility equipped at the highest level, checkrooms for female and male arbiters with showers and WCs, premises for Delegates and Protocol execution, as well as lock rooms with showers and WCs for athletes. Sauna was designed for the guest team. The above-listed was designed and realized in life using highest quality construction and coating material and the European standard furniture.
The Museum of Sport Glory, premises for management and administrative building was also designed. Additional WCs for spectators, boiler room and other ancillary facilities were arranged at the Stadium territory.