Bonsecours MarketEdit profile
Bonsecours Market (French: Marché Bonsecours), at 350 rue Saint-Paul in Old Montreal, is a two-story domed public market. For more than 100 years, it was the main public market in the Montreal area. It also briefly accommodated the Parliament of United Canada for one session in 1849.
Named for the adjacent Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel, it opened during 1847. During 1849 the building was used for the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Canada. The market's design was influenced by Dublin's Customs House.
Construction began during 1844 by British architect William Footner, and alterations completed during 1860 by Irish-born Montreal architect George Browne (5 Nov 1811-19 Nov 1885). Bonsecours Market also housed Montreal City Hall between 1852 and 1878. The former city hall chambers is now a 3700 square meter meeting room.
The market was also a venue for banquets, exhibitions and other festivals. Browne was charged with adding a 900 square meter concert hall and banquet hall.
Closed during 1963 as a farmer's central market, it was slated for demolition. Today, the market is multi purpose facility:
- an up-scale mall that houses outdoor cafés, restaurants and boutiques on the main and second floors.
- Hall and banquet rooms are rented on the lower and upper floors.
- municipal office space
Bonsecours Market was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1984.