Bob White Covered Bridge

The Bob White Covered Bridge, also known as the Lower Covered Bridge or Woolwine Covered Bridge, is a county owned wooden covered bridge that spans the Smith River in Patrick County, Virginia, United States. It is located on the old portion of Bob White Road (SR 869) off State Route 8 southeast of the community of Woolwine, about 13 miles (21 kilometers) north of Stuart. Coordinates are 36°46′44.82″N 80°14′51.26″W / 36.7791167°N 80.2475722°W / 36.7791167; -80.2475722 (36.779117, -80.247572).

Built in 1921, the 80-foot (24-meter) bridge is a Queen-post truss construction over two spans. Its WGCB number is 46-68-01. The Bob White Covered Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 22, 1973. It is one of two historic covered bridges remaining in Patrick County, maintained by the Patrick County government.

History

The Bob White Covered Bridge was constructed by Walter G. Weaver of Woolwine, named for the former Bob White Post Office which in turn was named after the bobwhite quails that inhabit the area. It served as an access route to the Smith River Church of the Brethren, located on the south side of the river. The bridge was bypassed to the west with a concrete bridge in 1981. Although closed to motor traffic, the Bob White Covered Bridge still attracts numerous visitors. The bridge is the site of annual horse-drawn wagon rides as part of the Patrick County Covered Bridge Festival which is held every June.