Boardman HouseEdit profile
The Boardman House (circa 1687), also known as the Scotch-Boardman House or the Bennett-Boardman House, is a historic house located at 17 Howard Street, Saugus, Massachusetts. It is a National Historic Landmark.
Estimates of the house's history have varied over the years, but it is currently believed that the house was constructed circa 1687 for William Boardman. The house was built as two rooms per floor, with a central chimney. On the ground floor it has a parlor and hall, with two bedrooms above, and an attic above the bedrooms. By 1696 a characteristic lean-to was added at the rear for the kitchen and milkroom giving it the appearance of a saltbox. There are five fireplaces in the house, one in each of the original rooms, and another in the kitchen.
Although the house's general shape has not changed since this time, its original leaded-glass windows were at some point replaced with more modern sash windows, two original front gables were removed, and in about 1725 a new interior staircase was added.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1961.
It is owned by Historic New England and open to the public the first Saturday of the month, June to October.