Blutenburg CastleEdit profile
Blutenburg Castle is an old ducal country seat in the west of Munich, Germany, on the banks of river Würm.History
The castle was built between two arms of the River Würm for Duke Albert III, Duke of Bavaria in 1438–39 as a hunting-lodge, replacing an older castle burned down in war. Albert's son, Duke Sigismund of Bavaria, ordered extensions of the castle beginning in 1488; he died here in 1501.
He also ordered the construction of the palace chapel, a splendid masterpiece of late Gothic style which still has its stained-glass windows, along with the altars with three paintings created in 1491 by Jan Polack. The main building became derelict during the Thirty Years War, but was rebuilt in 1680–81. The castle is still surrounded by a ring wall with four towers.Present day
Since 1983 the International Youth Library (Internationale Jugendbibliothek) has been housed in Blutenburg Castle. The Blutenburg concerts are well known.