Blundell Park
Blundell Park is a football ground in Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, England and home to Grimsby Town Football Club. The stadium was built in 1898, but only one of the original stands remain. The current capacity of the ground is 9546, though with the introduction of all seating in the late 1980s the capacity was reduced from the near 27,000 it could hold. Several relegations in previous years meant the expansion seating was also taken away, this reduced the capacity further more from in and around 12,000 to what it is now.

History and layout

Pontoon Stand
The lowest priced tickets for home fans are usually to be found in the Pontoon Stand. This is at the north end of the ground behind one of the goals. It was built in 1961 with money for the construction raised by Grimsby Town's fans. In the mid 1980s the Pontoon Stand became the away stand with the Osmond Stand reserved for home fans, the thought being that the Pontoon's more open design would make the Grimsby Town supporters' presence more noticeable in the remainder of the stadium. This was extremely unpopular with club supporters and reversed. The Pontoon Stand was converted to an all-seater facility in the early 1990s in response to the Taylor Report following the Hillsborough disaster of 1989 and the seats were laid out in black and white stripes to reflect the club's colours. The Pontoon mainly houses the more vocal supporters of the club, and often houses a drummer.

The Findus Stand
The two tiered Findus Stand runs along half of the length of the pitch on the west side. This was built with money from former fish processing company Findus and the stand was originally known as the Findus Family Stand, built by South Humberside Fabrication Services. It has subsequently been called the Stones Bitter Stand, John Smith's Stand and most recently the Carlsberg Stand. Due to the Company Findus returning to Grimsby, the Carlsberg stand has now returned to its original name This stand was opened in 1981, replacing the old Barrett Stand. The upper tier is covered and offers views of the River Humber, Spurn Point and the North Sea over the top of the Main Stand. The lower tier is uncovered and between the two is a row of corporate boxes. The club shop, ticket office and boardroom are also based in this stand. As well as this, the "McMenemy's Function Suite" which is also a fully functional restaurant and bar is also based in this stand. The suite is named after former Town manager Lawrie McMenemy.

Main Stand
Opposite the Findus stand, on the east side of the ground, is the Main Stand which dates from 1901 and is often claimed to be the oldest stand in the football league. Only the central part of the stand dates from 1901, the rest having been modified in some guise or other. This stand houses the changing rooms and disabled supporters' areas. The players' tunnel runs from the centre of this stand onto the pitch between the two dugouts.

Osmond Stand
Away fans sit in the Osmond stand at the south end of the ground, where there are around 2,000 seats. This stand was built in 1939, shortly before the start of World War II. The Osmond stand is also a two tier stand, but unlike the Findus Stand, the Osmond only has steps separating the two parts. The corner between the Main Stand and the Osmond Stand is the only enclosed corner in the whole ground.

Additional Seating
When Blundell Park became an all seated stadium in the early nineties, the overall capacity of the ground decreased accordingly. The club erected temporary seating in the north-east and south-west corners, colloquially known as "the green seats". These consisted of four blocks of makeshift scaffold seating approximately 10 rows back. The temporary seating were intended to provide additional capacity when needed, but were in regular use on a weekly basis while the club enjoyed a lengthy spell playing in the English Championship. Relegation from the Champtionship led to reduced match attendance and temporary seating became largely redundant. In special cup fixtures, for instance the 2005 Carling Cup games with Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United the temporary seating is reinstalled for one-off use. Due to the changes in seating, the ground's overall capacity dropped from just under 12,000 while in the Championship to just under 10,000 in League Two.

The future
The club is hoping to relocate to a new ground on the western outskirts of Grimsby at Great Coates, adjacent to the A180 dual carriageway. Planning permission has been granted for the provisionally-titled Conoco Stadium, and if all goes to plan this will be ready for the 2010-11 season. Blundell Park is the lowest football stadium in the United Kingdom, at a height of only 2 feet above sea-level. While not in immediate danger from rising tides, it is prudent for Grimsby Town to pursue a move to higher ground.

Records
The highest ever attendance at the ground was 31,651 for an FA Cup 5th Round match on 20 February 1937 against Wolverhampton Wanderers. Since the ground was converted to all seating for the start of the 1995”“96 season after the Taylor Report, the highest attendance was 9,528 for a Football League Division One (Second Tier) match against Sunderland on 13 March 1999.

Building Activity

  • removed 2 media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com