The Bloomington Viaduct spans the Northern Branch of the Potomac River connecting Bloomington, Maryland to Mineral County, West Virginia. The sandstone railroad bridge features three full center arches, each with a 56 foot (17 m) span and a 28 foot (8.5 m) rise.

When built in 1851, it carried a double track of the original Baltimore and Ohio Railroad main line. In 1916 the viaduct was widened to accommodate two more tracks. The addition is a Melan-type reinforced concrete bridge of identical configuration built against the south face of the original stone bridge. As the state boundary follows the southern bank of the Potomac, nearly all of the bridge is located in Garrett County, Maryland. The Bloomington Viaduct was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 21, 1976.


1 photo

Building Activity

  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via